Oncology diagnosis center
2007 - The third project where "Un Canto A La Vida" and Help-for-Hope joined forces was the construction of the hospital's facility for early oncology diagnosis, the first and (until 2008) only early cancer detection facility in Quito South.
1. The project
Cancer counts among the main "killer" diseases, in Ecuador as in so many parts of the world. Help-for-Hope has witnessed first hand the tragedy of children who are affected by cancer in Ecuador, and who cannot afford adequate (often foreign and costly) treatment to improve their survival prospects, or at least alleviate their last months and days.
In yet too many cases , cancer comes silently and wipes away hope from a child's future. And in Quito South, lacking adequate diagnosis facilities, often it is too late once cancer is detected.
Recognizing the urgent need, the hospital "Un Canto A La Vida" has moved on this front, with a project designed to give the gift of hope back to children. The idea of an affordable yet modern early oncology diagnosis facility was born for Quito South's 1.1 mio population.
Building on the positive experience of past collaborations, the hospital and Help-for-Hope have agreed to engage together in a more substantial project than in past years. The project is defined in space and time (2007), the costs are known (below), and the potential impact on children is very real and significant. And again, the choice of the project has also been guided by the thoroughness of "Un Canto A La Vida"'s business plan for the constrution of the facility (click here to see a copy of the proposal).
2. Help-for-Hope's investment
Total costs for the construction of the oncology diagnosis facility have amounted to USD 110'000. Help-for-Hope has assumed responsibility for funding the majority share of the construction costs, ie USD 95'000 (USD 71'900 for modern medical equipment, and USD 23'100 for construction costs). The remainder USD 15’000 have been funded by the Foundation Tierra Nueva, the hospital's own foundation.
3. The results
Help-for-Hope is delighted to confirm that the (initially ambitious) target of USD 95'000 has been reached, and equally important, that construction has successfully completed. THANK YOU for participating so generously with your donations during 2007. The funds were raised through racing (Marathons of Boston, Chicago, New York), but also through private and corporate ad hoc donations, cookie sales, etc. SPECIAL THANKS go to the leadership of Ecole Moser and its students, who have made all the difference and filled the last gap in fundraising during their annual Year-End fair, dedicated in 2007 to Help-for-Hope's oncology diagnosis project (click here for pictures). Thanks to all of you, the oncology diagnosis facility has been inaugurated in May 2008!!
Below some pictures taken in March 2008, before the inauguration. Pictures of the facility (external view), with main entrance (front middle):
Below pictures from the interior, finalized and ready to be outfitted:
And below, more pictures from the medical equipment (most costly part):
- 18/05 H4H wins Grand Prix of Bern!
- 26/04 Valentine runs for H4H in Lausanne!
- 07/04 Andreas won IM 70.3 New Orleans !
- 07/04 Géraldine flies over Paris Marathon !
- 14/04 Relay Race Bulle, H4H's podium!
- 27/03 The RB's start into the new season !
- 14/03 Andy Athlete of the year 2012 !
- 17/02 First National Medal for Pierre
- 11/01 H4H Fun Team's Fondue event
- 06/01 H4H at Nice Prom'Classic !
- 01/01 World Class Ambassadors for H4H !
- 16/12 4 H4H Relay Teams at Silvesterlauf !
- 30/11 The Very's Bikers at l'Escalade !
- 06/12 Andi Birnbacher supports H4H on FB!
- 25/11 Advent Race, podiums for H4H!
- 24/11 Camilla & Caroline at Triathlon Party!
- 04/10 Team H4H on Noviodurun's podium!
- 28/10 Team H4H fantastic in Lausanne!
- 13/10 The Raelert Brothers in Hawaii!
- 07/10 Pierre in Morat-Fribourg!
- 02/10 Frank's & Eugénie's Rally in Corsica!
- 23/09 Sybille qualifies for Las Vegas!
- 10/09 Micha at 70.3 World Championships!
- 02/09 Andy wins Challenge Walchsee!
For previous races, please check under Events