New facility for autistic children
2009 - Autism is a disorder that is usually first diagnosed in early childhood. The main signs and symptoms of autism involve communication, social interactions and repetitive behaviors. Experts estimate that three to six children out of every 1,000 will have autism.
1. The project
Autism is a largely "hidden" phenomenon, partially also because children affected by autism do not show visible syndromes (please click here for more info on autism). There are few concerted efforts to promote solutions, and even less dedicated facilities to support children and their parents alike. So also in Switzerland. But there is hope!
Through local contacts in Suisse Romande, Help-for-Hope has met with Anna Wälti-Berti, herself mother of a lovely young girl affected by autism, Jade, and founder of the "Le Cube de Verre" Foundation, dedicated to support children affected by autism, and their parents.
Picture to the right and below: children affected by autism
Confronted with the lack of adequate support structures for Autism in the Western part of Switzerland, Anna Wälti-Berti has launched the idea of a new center for 20 children affected by autism, the Foyer "Cube de Verre" (please click here for more information on the project, including a view of the constuction plans). The objective of this new facility is to provide individualized attention and targeted developmental support to 20 children affected by autism, such as to prepare them for an independent and self-sufficient adult life.
Help-for-Hope has met with Anna Wälti-Berti, part of the Board of the Foundation, and the architects who are leading the construction of the new facility.
We have been impressed by the professionalism, thoroughness and dedication of all parties involved. A project with "bite", well thought through also in terms of educational approaches and newest treatment theories, that has every chance to make it to success and become a beam of hope for more centers for children affected with autism.
Where previously there was none, a brand new facility is being built for 20 children affected by autism in Arzier, close to Geneva Switzerland. Land and building have been donated by a generous sponsor. Construction works have begun in early 2009, and inauguration of the center is expected for July 2010.
2. Help-for-Hope's investment
The project has total budgeted costs of CHF 6'859'000. Help-for-Hope has donated CHF 80'000 to cover the construction costs of the new indoor swimming pool, a centerpiece of the facility as water is a primary and natural element to stimulate expression and development in children affected by autism.
Picture to the right: land and building that have been donated for the Foyer Cube de Verre. The new facility will be built on this piece of land.
These funds have been raised by Help-for-Hope in 2009, through participation in 2 main events:
- The Grand Raid (MTB Marathon in Switzerland, with Olivier, Laurent, Pieter, Jean-Luc, Stephan)
- The Diagonale des Fous (Ultra-marathon in the Reunion Islands, with Julien)
Participation in this project is a very special opportunity to impact children (and their parents) who too often tend to be forgotten. And create awareness and a best practice that hopefully will lead the way for other similar initiatives.
Until the end of 2008, Help-for-Hope's activities were focused on Latin America (Ecuador). With this project, Help-for-Hope is delighted to expand its geographic scope to Europe (Switzerland), and is very appreciative to the Foundation "Cube de Verre" for the opportunity of this partnership. Thank you!
3. The results
As per early 2010, construction is well under way. The facility is expected to be inaugurated in Summer 2010. Picture of the current state of the swimming pool: picture above (top of page)
- 18/05 H4H wins Grand Prix of Bern!
- 26/04 Valentine runs for H4H in Lausanne!
- 07/04 Andreas won IM 70.3 New Orleans !
- 07/04 Géraldine flies over Paris Marathon !
- 14/04 Relay Race Bulle, H4H's podium!
- 27/03 The RB's start into the new season !
- 14/03 Andy Athlete of the year 2012 !
- 17/02 First National Medal for Pierre
- 11/01 H4H Fun Team's Fondue event
- 06/01 H4H at Nice Prom'Classic !
- 01/01 World Class Ambassadors for H4H !
- 16/12 4 H4H Relay Teams at Silvesterlauf !
- 30/11 The Very's Bikers at l'Escalade !
- 06/12 Andi Birnbacher supports H4H on FB!
- 25/11 Advent Race, podiums for H4H!
- 24/11 Camilla & Caroline at Triathlon Party!
- 04/10 Team H4H on Noviodurun's podium!
- 28/10 Team H4H fantastic in Lausanne!
- 13/10 The Raelert Brothers in Hawaii!
- 07/10 Pierre in Morat-Fribourg!
- 02/10 Frank's & Eugénie's Rally in Corsica!
- 23/09 Sybille qualifies for Las Vegas!
- 10/09 Micha at 70.3 World Championships!
- 02/09 Andy wins Challenge Walchsee!
For previous races, please check under Events