2008 New York City Marathon - a new dimension!
Sunday November 2nd, 2008, it was again the day of the mythical New York City Marathon, also known as the biggest sporting event in the US. More than 100'000 applicants every year, 2 million spectators cheering at the roadside, 315 million television viewers worldwide, and a field of runners that approaches 40'000. Adrenaline pure...
Help-for-Hope was present for the 4th consecutive year, to raise awareness for children in need. And what a year it was, one of the best ever!!
This year, 42km took on a new dimension, as Help-for-Hope joined the Achilles Track Club to guide a physically challenged athlete from start to finish! A magic experience, inspirational 42km, discovering a group of real heros in running and life. Please click here for pix and story
1) outstanding performance by Didier Brocard
2) running with Toshi and for physically challenged athletes
3) and foremost, great group of athletes and friends (pix below)
Left: Didier Brocard (interview) in full action, on his last miles in Central Park, to a fantastic 2:37:09 time.Bravo Didier!!
Right: The Achilles Track Club "Toshi" team, wtih Stephan (Help-for-Hope and ATC guide), Toshi (in yellow, 100% visually impaired athlete), Eddy and Mika (ATC guides), crossing the finish line after running 42km as a team. Tears of joy!!
A highlight of the day was Didier Brocard, who litterally exploded in his first marathon ever, finishing in 2:37:09 and ranking a brilliant 91st. Incredible, a bullet, made the top 100, very promising for future marathons and ironmans. Bravo Didier, way to go!! And a big thank you for providing your support to children in need. (Below: pictures of Didier in full action, left on the Willis Bridge into Bronx, and right in Central Park, on his last miles)
Again special thanks to the TPT travel agency team (René, Nicole, Didier, and more) for organizing a flawless experience in NY. Well done! First picture below with Rene Dutoit (middle) and second picture below with Nicole Saudan-Messeiller (left)
Below: part of the "gang" from Switzerland at the after-race party, from left to right Nicolas Hauser 2:41 (bravo!!), Francisco Pasandin 2:45 - at age 50! - and past 100km winner, Rene Dutoit (TPT), Didier Brocard, Stephan Bissig and Olivier Audemars (running) - a great team spirit, as always!
- Left: an all time favourite fan club, Camila, Monica and Alexandra. Thank you for all your great support, you did magic again!!
- Right: two very special NY friends, from Brooklyn, Phil and Lisa Terry - thank you thank you thank you for the great moments shared together, on and off the race course. You're the best!
To the left, Lele Bardolini (center), from Prato, Tuscany in Italy, and his friend Aldo. Lele completed his 107th (ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTH!!!!!) marathon in NYC 2008 (for a picture of Lele from the race course, click here). You're a myth, Lele. Unbelievable. An inspiration. Lele's motto "Start slow, and keep slowing down..." Age: a state secret.
And below some more myths:
- picture to the left: friends Ilaria and husband Orlando Pizzolato (both in Orange); Orlando had won New York twice (1984 and 1985) and is leading a very successful running academy
- picture in the middle: Adam Gyorgy (center), age 26, one of the world's most talented pianists - the day before his sold-out and standing ovation concert at Carnegie Hall - famous and yet with his feet on the ground, a wonderful person!
- picture to the right: the dream of any teenage girl (and worry of any father), a picture with Mr. "Abs" from A&F...
And yet some more myths below:
- picture to the left: Father Jacques LaPointe (center), a world traveller and deares friend from the times in Japan. A true saint to the needy population in New York; Jacques keep going, you're an inspiration!! And thank you for showing us the best hamburger place in NYC ;-)
- picture in the middle: the "The Thinker" by Auguste Rodin, at the Metropolitan Museum in NYC, and Phil and Stephan, two HBSers trying to make sense of the world... Thank you Phil and Lisa for the wonderful guided tour around the Met!!
- And one of the very greatest myths of all... Team Hoyt, an ultimate inspiration for any endurance athlete racing with a heart for people in need. Discover the story by clicking on the link, pure magic. Go Team Hoyt!!
- 18/05 H4H wins Grand Prix of Bern!
- 26/04 Valentine runs for H4H in Lausanne!
- 07/04 Andreas won IM 70.3 New Orleans !
- 07/04 Géraldine flies over Paris Marathon !
- 14/04 Relay Race Bulle, H4H's podium!
- 27/03 The RB's start into the new season !
- 14/03 Andy Athlete of the year 2012 !
- 17/02 First National Medal for Pierre
- 11/01 H4H Fun Team's Fondue event
- 06/01 H4H at Nice Prom'Classic !
- 01/01 World Class Ambassadors for H4H !
- 16/12 4 H4H Relay Teams at Silvesterlauf !
- 30/11 The Very's Bikers at l'Escalade !
- 06/12 Andi Birnbacher supports H4H on FB!
- 25/11 Advent Race, podiums for H4H!
- 24/11 Camilla & Caroline at Triathlon Party!
- 04/10 Team H4H on Noviodurun's podium!
- 28/10 Team H4H fantastic in Lausanne!
- 13/10 The Raelert Brothers in Hawaii!
- 07/10 Pierre in Morat-Fribourg!
- 02/10 Frank's & Eugénie's Rally in Corsica!
- 23/09 Sybille qualifies for Las Vegas!
- 10/09 Micha at 70.3 World Championships!
- 02/09 Andy wins Challenge Walchsee!
For previous races, please check under Events